The Center for Ocular Prosthetics, LLC is led by board-certified ocularist Fredric M. Harwin. Mr. Harwin has been creating custom ocular prosthetics since 1978. His education includes medical school courses combined with fine arts training. His medical illustration/ocularist skills are internationally known.
Fred Harwin was awarded a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in interior architecture, drawing and painting from Wayne State University. He then went on to receive his Master of Science degree in medical and biological illustration from the University of Michigan.
After completing school, Harwin served as the Director of Medical Illustration at Wayne County General Hospital, a teaching affiliate of the University of Michigan. He later joined the faculty at Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland, Ore. Harwin has also taught at Portland State University, the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry and was an Adjunct Professor of Medical Illustration at the University of California's San Francisco Medical Center.
Most recently, he was named as an adjunct faculty member with the Department of Art as Applied to Medicine at The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Training & Credentials
- Wayne State University, B. F. A.
- University of Michigan, M. Sc. Medical Illustration
- Sabbatical Year, Oregon Health and Science University
- Board Certified Ocularist
- FDA Approved Ocularist
- Board Approved Diplomate Ocularist, BADO
- Fellow, Association Medical Illustrators
- President, the Center for Ocular Prosthetics, LLC
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Johns Hopkins Medical School
Previous Work & Positions
- Co-Author/Medical Illustrator, Manual of Cardiac Surgery, Vol. I & II
- Medical Illustrator, affiliate teaching hospital, University of Michigan
- Assistant Professor, Department Director, Medical Graphics, Oregon Health and Science University
- Adjunct Professor, University of San Francisco Medical School
- Consulting Editor, Springer Verlag: New York, Heidelberg, Berlin, Vienna
- Portland State University, Adjunct Instructor
- Pacific Northwest College of Art, Adjunct Instructor
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, Adjunct Instructor
- Cleveland Clinic/Cleveland Institute of Art, Adjunct Professor
- Advisory Council, Medical College of Georgia
- Medical Illustrator/ Consultant, WL. Gore and Associates